Asia News

Five Jailed in Phnom Penh Over $100,000 Extortion Plot

Five men have been placed in pre-trial detention in Phnom Penh after authorities uncovered an alleged $100,000 extortion scheme involving the confinement of a Chinese businessman, court officials confirmed this week.

The suspects — two Chinese nationals and three Cambodian men — were formally charged by the Phnom Penh Municipal Court following their arrest during a police raid on February 11. The operation led to the rescue of the victim and the seizure of vehicles and other evidence believed to be linked to the crime.

According to a court document dated February 16 and signed by the investigating judge, the accused face charges of “intentional acts of violence” and “arrest, detention and unlawful confinement” under Articles 217 and 353 of Cambodia’s Criminal Code.

Alleged Abduction for Ransom

Authorities identified the two Chinese suspects as Taing Peng, 44, and Peng Xiang Shui, 35, both described as employees of a commercial company operating in Phnom Penh.

The three Cambodian suspects were named as Suon Chanthara, 31, a driver; Chea Vanthuch, 25, also a driver; and Meas Chhuon, 28, a security guard. Investigators allege the trio worked in collaboration with the two Chinese nationals.

Lieutenant Colonel Mak Kimheng, Deputy Chief of the Municipal Criminal Investigation Police Office, said the incident began earlier in the week when five Chinese nationals traveled from Preah Sihanouk province to Phnom Penh. The group had rented an apartment in Prek Leap commune, Chroy Changvar district, where they were reportedly staying while preparing to return to China.

On February 9, authorities say, a group of 10 suspects — six Chinese nationals and four Cambodians — arrived at the apartment complex in three vehicles. Their alleged objective was to abduct the five men and demand ransom payments from their families.

Victim Captured and Assaulted

While four of the intended victims managed to escape, one man — identified as Lin Jing Huang — was captured, police said.

Investigators allege he was taken to a separate location in the capital’s Tonle Bassac area and held in a room on the eighth floor of a building. There, he was reportedly assaulted and filmed as part of a coercive effort to extract $100,000 from his family.

Authorities said the footage was intended to pressure relatives into transferring the ransom money.

Police launched an investigation soon after receiving information about the abduction. On February 11, officers conducted a targeted raid, rescuing the victim and arresting five suspects. Several vehicles believed to have been used during the operation were seized, along with additional materials considered key evidence.

Ongoing Investigation

While five individuals are now in custody, police have indicated that additional suspects may still be at large. The case remains under active investigation as authorities work to identify the remaining members of the alleged 10-person group.

The arrests come amid heightened scrutiny of cross-border criminal activities in Cambodia, particularly cases involving foreign nationals and organized schemes targeting individuals for financial gain.

Court officials confirmed that the five accused have been placed in pre-trial detention pending further legal proceedings. If convicted under Articles 217 and 353, they could face significant prison sentences under Cambodian law.

For now, the swift police intervention has drawn attention to the risks posed by organized ransom operations and the authorities’ efforts to clamp down on violent crimes in the capital.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *